Lirac's reputation goes back as far as the 17th century,
and there is even considerable evidence that vineyards existed here
during the Roman era. In fact, in the 17th century, this vineyard on the
of the Rhône was the only one that existed on the southern part of
the river. Its wine was highly valued by the greatest connoisseurs
from the royal courts and the leisure classes of Paris. At the end of the
the beginning of the 18th centuries, the wine produced in Lirac was
stored in barrels and shipped to the best tables in France.
In 1804, the family of Count Henri de Régis de Gatimel inherited
a castle in Lirac through a succession of marriages. The estate was not
exactly flourishing: it had grains, some silkworms, and a modest vineyard.
In 1925, Count Henri de Régis decided to redevelop the estate's
vineyard. In the 1930's, he thought of creating an appellation that would
bear the name of the village at the center of the production region, following
the example of the other AOC wines. In October of 1947, a decree approving
the label of Lirac was issued by the government; it was the first of the
Côtes du Rhône crus to produce red, white, and rosé wines.