Gard Provence





Venejan

Gard Provence  home page Gard Provence  home page
Search:
Towns and villages
 Discover the regions of Gard Provencal ::
  IN THE COTES DU RHONE ::
Venejan
Between Ceze and Ardeche rivers In the Cotes du Rhone Cevennes foothills Across the bridge from Avignon Near the Pont du Gard Around Uzes Tave river valley
 Click to visit town,
 village or monument :: Venejan wind mill Site of Gicon Pont Saint Esprit Bagnols sur Ceze Carsan Saint Alexandre Saint Nazaire Venejan Saint Etienne des Sorts Chusclan Codolet Orsan
 
 Venejan
  on gard-provencal.com ::

Venejan

Venejan

Venejan
Venejan
Population :: 1100
Market :: Thursday
Town hall :: 04 66 79 25 08
   
 
This rural village of stone houses will amaze you with the diversity of its colors and with its rich historical and architectural heritage. Perched on a hill, with a remarkable view of the Ventoux and the Rhône Valley, it dominates the surrounding vineyards.
 
You can visit the only functioning windmill in the region, the Romanesque chapel of St. Jean-Baptiste, the chapel of St. Pierre, and the medieval castle. The last two monuments are privately owned, but you can admire their beautiful exteriors, which harmonize with the village's old buildings. Those tourists who love the countryside can follow three hiking trails: GR42, GR42 b, and PR. Picnickers and forest lovers can visit the springs of Fontfroide or Luget.
 
shops Bakery, Lou Caleou Inn, wine cooperative, Domaine Belle-feuille, Domaine Verdier, Domaine Vignac, over 27 businesses (construction, architecture, plumbing, etc.)
heritage The Romanesque Chapel of St. Jean-Baptiste: inscribed on the supplementary list of historical monuments since 1986, built in the late 11th century. The side chapels (enfeux) are of a later period. It has managed to preserve some superb interior murals which date from the 14th century.
The windmill of Vénéjan: built in 1813, the original mill functioned for a hundred years or so. Renovated at the end of 1999 and beginning of 2000, following the wishes of the town, it was inaugurated on May 27, 2000 and is now in fully working condition, as it was in its heyday.

Medieval castle (private), Chapel of St. Pierre (private), Chapel of St. Georges (private). The area around the spring of Fontfroide is a great place for having picnics or relaxing. Walking tours and theme tours.
Events : 2nd weekend of June (Sunday), regional heritage day and windmill day; end of June/beginning of July, musical evenings in the Romanesque chapel of St. Jean-Baptiste; second half of September , national heritage day; November, the festival of the "vin primeur" taking place at the windmill; December, Christmas market, santons.
history This former Gallo-Roman estate was abandoned in the 5th century in favor of the oppidum de Lombrun. The first castrum of the 10th century was established on the hillside that is the village's present-day site, and its castle chapel was built afterwards.
 
Guillaume de Vénéjan, bishop of Uzès in the 12th century, founded the Carthusian Monastery of Valbonne.
 
From 1290 to the end of the 16th century, the Béziers family, who built the castle, was succeeded by the Ancezune family and later the Grignans, whose last member married Marguerite de Sévigné, daughter of the famous Marquise. In 1720, the seigneury was sold to Charles de Fogasse and then to the Marquis de la Fare.
 
Vénéjan is a farming village of subsistence crops, goat and sheep herding, and silkworms. It opened its first school in 1780.
local products Côtes du Rhône, local wines.