Saint Geniès in the Rhône Valley of the Gard.
It is situated between the entrance to the A9 highway, which heads towards the
sea and towards Spain, and the entrance to the A7, which heads towards Paris
2 airfields, 40 km from Nimes and 20 km from Avignon and its festival, 17 km
from Orange and its "Chorégies," 40 km from Vaison la Romaine,
35 km from the duchy of Uzès, le Pont du Gard, La Camargue, etc.
Major train stations in the vicinity: Orange, Nimes, Avignon.
The district covers 800 hectares; it has vegetable and fruit farming, vineyards
(Lirac, Côtes du Rhône ), crafts, and a park.
Shops, secondary school nearby, stadium, cafeteria, nursery, primary school,
||1 grocery "Coccinelle", bakery, butcher shop, tobacco
shop, bar, pharmacy, electronic repair shop
Statue of the Virgin
||The name probably comes from Saint Geniès, who was
decapitated near Arles for refusing to transcribe Emperor Diocletian's Edict
of 303, which ordered the persecution of Christians. The name of Comolas
seems to derive from the Latin "Cumulus," which would refer to
the presence of several hills and a long ridge of stones called "montagne," which
reaches an altitude of 176 meters.
During the Revolution, the village took the name of "Montagne Comolas." Saint
Geniès in Languedoc was part of the Provence enclave. The church and the
castle of Saint Geniès belonged to the episcopal "mense" of
Avignon, as a result of a donation made to bishop Fulcherius in 911 by Louis
the Blind, king and emperor of Italy.
During the wars and the incursions of the war parties, the church was transformed
into a fortress within the very walls of the castle by Pope John XXII (1317).
The church is placed in a favorable position on a square where you can admire
its chevet. This church presents visitors with a fresco of the martyrdom of Saint
Geniès, and among the different statues, there is one of a certain Saint
Expédit, patron saint of schoolchildren, businessmen, and driving students.