This village of the Gard, on the right bank of the Rhône, is the link
between Languedoc and Provence. It is 15 km from Avignon, 20 km from Bagnols
sur Cèze, 10 km from Orange, 50 km from Nîmes; it has 56 associations
and 4934 inhabitants.
1 play-group, 1 nursery school, 1 primary school, 1 secondary school, municipal
police, gendarmes, firemen, 6 doctors, ZA and ZI (business and industrial parks),
1 bus station 5 km from the center of town, 1 municipal pool.
||5 bakeries, 1 butcher shop, 1 grocery, 2 minimarkets, hair
salons, 1 newsstand, 2 tobacco shops, 4 bars, restaurants.
||The castle (12th/13th century): It was formerly one the most
important castles in Languedoc, but now there remain only ruins of the surrounding
wall, a circular tower, and a high square tower. Clément V, the first
pope of Avignon, died there on April 20, 1314.
The quays of the medieval river port at the foot of the castle. It was the period's
most important port on this part of the right bank.
Collegiate church of Saint Jean-Baptiste and Saint Jean l'Evangéliste
(14th century, southern Gothic style), with its 17th-century organ, listed as
a historical monument, as well as the relics of Saint Valentine.
The priory of Truel (Romanesque style), once fortified, contains a listed Romanesque
The Romanesque chapel from the 12th and 13th centuries, Saint Joseph des Champs.
||In the 14th century, Roquemaure was the most important
port on this section of the right bank of the Rhône.
From an early date, the consuls of Roquemaure carried out a policy for producing
quality wines; they instituted a particularly severe set of regulations, which
were the origin of the "Côtes du Rhône" appellation.
In 1868, the inhabitants of the village obtained the relics of Saint Valentine
in order to protect the vineyard from phylloxera, which spread in France for
the first time in 1864.
||Fruits and vegetables, Côtes du Rhône, Lirac.