Gard Provence





La Roque sur Ceze

Gard Provence  home page Gard Provence  home page
Search:
Towns and villages
 Discover the regions of Gard Provencal ::
  BETWEEN CEZE AND ARDECHE RIVERS ::
La Roque sur Ceze
Between Ceze and Ardeche rivers In the Cotes du Rhone Cevennes foothills Across the bridge from Avignon Near the Pont du Gard Around Uzes Tave river valley
 Click to visit town,
 village or monument :: Cascades du Sautadet Carthusian Monastery of Valbonne Sabran Cavillargues Verfeuil Saint Marcel de Careiret Saint Andre d'Olerargues Saint Gervais Saint Laurent de Carnols Saint Michel d'Euzet La Roque sur Ceze Saint Andre de Roquepertuis Goudargues Cornillon
 
 La Roque sur Ceze
  on gard-provencal.com ::

La Roque sur Ceze

La Roque sur Ceze
La Roque sur Ceze
Population :: 201
Town hall :: 04 66 82 77 46
   
 

This small medieval village was built on a rocky peak, and it offers a splendid view of the natural landmark of the Cascades du Sautadet. Its limestone rocks have been here for five million years. A castle and a chapel rise above the landscape, and remains of the surrounding wall are still visible. A narrow bridge from the Middle Ages, which is inscribed on the list of historical monuments, crosses the river with its eleven arches.
 
shops Various facilities are available for tourists: restaurants, campgrounds, beaches, refreshment areas, guest houses, crêpe restaurant, hair salon, miniature village, miniature golf.
A number of seasonal rentals are available in the village.
heritage The Cascades du Sautadet: an extraordinary but dangerous site. The potholes: cylindrical cavities in the rocky river bed, hollowed out by the swirling movement of the pebbles.
The Charles Martel Bridge, inscribed on the list of historical monuments.
history La Roque sur Cèze was constructed on an elevated area so that it could be easily defended. The oldest part is located between the castle and the fortification towers.
 
The castle, which dates from the 12th century, is a private property and closed to the public. We know very little about its history. The castle was burnt down in 1573 by Huguenots and was abandoned in the late 19th century. Its Romanesque chapel was sold by the town in 1955.
 
The bridge that crosses the Cèze, named the the Charles Martel Bridge, was built in the Middle Ages.
 
In 1790, the village came under the control of the Bishop of Uzès.
 
In 1883, the present-day church was built in the lower part of the village.
 
In 1958, La Roque was inscribed on the list of France's historical sites.
 
In 1993, the Cascades du Sautadet and over 400 hectares of the village were declared registered historical sites.
local products The wine of la Roque is marketed by the wine cooperative of Saint-Laurent-de-Carnols.
 
Domaine de Bel Air : appellation Côtes du Rhône contrôlée.