Gard Provence





Barjac

Gard Provence  home page Gard Provence  home page
Search:
Towns and villages
 Discover the regions of Gard Provencal ::
  BETWEEN CEZE AND ARDECHE RIVERS ::
Barjac
Between Ceze and Ardeche rivers In the Cotes du Rhone Cevennes foothills Across the bridge from Avignon Near the Pont du Gard Around Uzes Tave river valley
 Click to visit town,
 village or monument :: Narrows of Lussan Saint Privat de Champclos Montclus Barjac Fons sur Lussan Mejannes le Clap Rivieres Rochegude Saint Jean de Maruejols Tharaux
 
 Barjac
  on gard-provencal.com ::

Barjac

Barjac
Barjac
Administrative center of the canton
Population :: 1401
Market :: Friday
Town festival :: 3rd weekend of July
Town hall :: 04 66 24 50 09
 
www.mairiedebarjac.com
   
Barjac 
Barjac, a Renaissance town.
 
Situated between the Cèze River gorges and the Ardèche, Barjac has a great view of the Cévennes mountains. Its central location is an excellent starting point for hikes in the Ronze forest, which contains extraordinary Neolithic relics. The "Tuscan" landscape, tended by enterprising farmers, lies next to the wild garrigues which are just barely accessible to hunters, hikers, and cave explorers.
 
shops This town has a high standard of living, due in part to medical and commercial services that are worthy of any large city. It hosts an international antiques fair during Easter and on August 15.
heritage Barjac is a Renaissance town. In the old town center, you can see examples of its local heritage -- alleyways, squares, and houses -- which have been renovated under the close supervision of the architects of the "Bâtiments de France." The castle of the Comtes du Roure, whose courtyard contains a keep made of cut stones, was once called the "Citadelle." This beautiful edifice has been altered several times since the 12th century. Its stables were recently converted into a library, and its kitchen is now a screening room. Under the impetus of the local government, the castle has become a culturally important place, particularly during the festival of "Chansons et Paroles" (Songs and Words) that takes place every year at the end of July.
history The sanctuary called the Cave of Chauvet, 10 kilometers away, is evidence that the site has been densely populated since the year 30,000 B.C. The number of dolmens, fifteen, proves that in 3500 B.C. human inhabitants were still present.
 
In prehistoric times, the population of Barjac was very large. At the edge of the Ronze Forest, as early as the 5th century B.C., there was a roadside station linked to the development of trade between Marseille, the Loire, and Auvergne. The territory was traversed by the Roman road that led from Nîmes to Alba, known as the road of Antoninus Pius.
 
In the 11th century, the residents of Barjac were the first to rule the town. Louis XIII was received there on June 5, 1629, a few days before signing the Peace of Alais.
 
Barjac later belonged to the Barjac family, then to the Grimoard du Roure family. These lords were members of the Estates of Languedoc.
 
Barjac had an important silk manufacturing center in the 18th century. Five mills were in operation.
 
The fairs of Barjac have always played a major role in the life of the community. Their origin goes back to the royal decrees of François 1er and Louis XIV.