| A restoration plan, implemented by the Friends
of Gicon, was responsible for protecting of the three buildings that showed
the least damage, unblocking
access to the castle, and providing safety features that were necessary
The entrance is to the east; a stone-paved path from the Roman era was discovered
intact under the rubble. To the right of the entrace, there is a large building:
a fortified house built in the early 14th century at the command of Philippe
le Bel. When the water tanks were cleared, a Roman tombstone from the second
century was discovered. In the thickness of the north wall, there is a stairway
that leads to the floor where the tribunal and offices were probably located.
The West Tower is located above the grotto. According to the foundations that
have been discovered, it is estimated that the keep was built between 1200 and
1260. The building to the south, adjacent to the keep, was constructed later.
The watch tower to the east was at least two stories tall. There is a second
plan to reconstruct the stately buildings to the east and the surrounding wall,
and to close off the grotto.
At the request of the owners, the Cave Coopérative, a large number of
signs have been placed on the site to guide visitors.
At the foot of the castle, there is one ancient chapel devoted to Saint Madeleine.
The chapel has existed for a long time and has been restored several times throughout
the years. Today it stands unobstructed in the middle of an enclosure that sets
it off to its best advantage. It is still a place for pilgrimages, which take
place every third Sunday of June. After a mass given in Provençal, the
pilgrims gather to share a meal in a warm and convivial ambience.
||for guided tours, contact the Cave Coopérative
(04 66 90 11 03)
| Click to visit town,
village or monument ::