|| In the Middle Ages, the chapel was under royal
jurisdiction, and it occupied a strategic position near a network of roads
leading to the Cévennes, to Nîmes, and to the Rhône.
In 1839, the family of the Comtes de Voguës had a tomb built underneath
the floor, and three of its members are now buried there. The restored sections,
which can be distinguished by the size of the stones, date from 1543, 1839, and
1872. Up to the 1950's, the chapel remained in relatively good condition because
people came to pray to Saint Martin for a cure for children's tinea. On March
22, 1976, M. le Marquis Pierre de Voguës ceded the chapel and the olive
grove to the town of Tresques.
In the early 1980's, contemporary stained-glass windows were installed. The chapel
was inscribed on the list of historical monuments in 1982. Its restoration was
begun in 1990.
||04 66 82 40 47
| Click to visit town,
village or monument ::